Pages

Come Visit the new site!

The time has come for me to blend my photography with my love for blogging and create a place for families to come and hang out or get their very own family photo session.

www.rubyellenphotography.com

Monday, August 15, 2011

Suzy Homemaker Weekend!

Pin It
What a gorgeous and productive weekend I had this week. I had a case of "Suzy homemaker" and I took full advantage of it. After blogging yesterday I ended up digging out the kitchen curtain project that has been on hold for a couple of months now. Have you ever started a project and decided that you were too good for a pattern and just started chopping and sewing away only to find out that your original plan was a little less than perfect? This is one of those projects. Here in town there is the most ADORABLE quilt shoppe with the dearest lady owner Peg and it's called Common Threads Quilt Shoppe. I went in to buy fabric for the project in mid-may I believe and ran home excited to get started, draped the fabric over the other curtains to be able to stand back and admire and there it sat for at least a month. When I finally pulled the fabric down in fear of leaving sun stains from the folds I went to town one night, trying to sew like a mad woman and create a beautiful and unique curtain. Total flop. We are talking seam ripping  and tears flying while I ripped the entire curtain apart. Originally I was going to use this as a fun tutorial but now it is only going to be a mere suggestion of a project but let me tell you the second time around they turned out darling but certainly less than perfect. I am a girl that has made up her own pattern for dozens of purses and baby items but the curtains tripped me up for some reason. At any rate, here are the details:

Fabric:

  • 5296 Olive Morning Call, A Hoodie design from Blank Quilting
Photo courtesy of Blank Quilting.com
And here are the curtains:
Without light filtered through them.
With light filtered through.

Close up of the top.

 In the end I was happy with the cheery little curtains but frustrated that I am lacking the sewing knowledge I need to create without a pattern for something so simple when I've done much more complicated things in the past.

Sunday was even more productive. I got up and went to church for the early service then came home and started working on the belated Thank You notes for the birthday boy's gifts he received three weeks ago. I put an extra leaf in the kitchen table to make the curtains and decided to take advantage of the "crafting space" and spread out my scrap booking supplies. Homemade Thank Yous are so easy with some scrapbook paper and some stamps and a printer. I whipped up these cute little thank you notes:


With all of my scrap booking supplies still handy I started to browse through my recipe binders searching for a good recipe to take to the Big Picnic hosted by my church next week. When leafing through my messy binder I was beginning to think that I need to rearrange and get rid of the ones I never tried or didn't like and put the ones I love into my binder that my mom made me of all of her favorite recipes and I use it dozen of times every week.
Then I got really carried away and added some of my new recipes into the book after I cut and pasted onto cute scrapbook paper. I ended up recycling about 100 pages of never used or not my taste recipes. The project is still in progress because while browsing I mentioned my moms recipe for Bierocks to my husband. He demanded them for dinner. These are a favorite at our house but I don't make them all that often because they are a little time intensive. But they are worth the wait!

Bierocks
Ingredients
Yeast Mixture for Dough:
2- .25 oz Yeast packets or 1 Tbsp. yeast
2 Cups warm water
1 Tbsp. Sugar
Dough:
¼ Cup Sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 Egg
¼ Cup Melted Butter
6-6 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
Filling:
1 ½ Pound Ground Beef
1 tsp. Tones Pizza Seasoning
1 Jar Ragu Home Style Pizza Sauce
20 pieces Pepperoni
1 small can mushrooms
1- 8 oz pkg. Mozzarella or Pizza Blend Shredded Cheese
Filling suggestions:
Buffalo chicken
Ham and Swiss
Broccoli and Cheddar
Taco Seasoned beef or chicken
Chicken Artichoke and Garlic
Spinach and mushroom
Instructions
Yeast:
Dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar.
Set aside in a warm spot, covered and let rise. Approximately 15 minutes.
Dough:
In a large bowl mix together sugar, salt, egg and melted butter.
Pour in the yeast mixture.
Stir in Flour until dough forms then transfer to counter and knead until soft.
Chill dough covered in fridge for several hours.
While dough is chilling:
Meat:
Brown Ground beef with tones seasoning.
Stir in ½-¾ of the Ragu sauce in the Beef.
Final prep:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Makes 20 Bierocks.
This recipe is from my mom. She found it the first year she was married and it has been made over and over ever since. I have changed the filling out though for this easier version.

Gently stir together yeast, warm water and 1 Tbsp sugar. Set aside covered to let rise.

Stir together melted butter, sugar, salt and egg.

Once yeast has raised add to the wet mixture of sugar, salt, butter and egg.

Incorporate the flour into the yeast mixture slowly, stirring gently as you add.

Once most of the flour is incorporated turn out onto counter and knead until smooth.

Place in a greased bowl, cover and refrigerate for several hours.

After several hours in the fridge, remove and see how you dough has risen over the last couple of hours!

Separate dough into three sections and roll out one section at a time.

Roll out into a large flat rectangle about 1/4" thick.

Cut into six 4" squares.

Place toppings on each square. I put 1 Tbsp. meat then top with pepperoni and some with mushrooms.

Top with shredded cheese.

Bring corners together and pinch to create a pouch.

Pinch together to enclose.

I mark the tops of the ones with mushrooms in them because some people in my house don't like the mushrooms. Using a fork gently press a M into the top.

Place pinched side down on a greased baking sheet and let rise for 15 minutes, covered on top of your preheating oven set at 350 degrees.

After 15 minutes they should have risen slightly again.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until they are a light golden brown.


Fresh out of the oven I brushed butter over the tops to create a pretty shine.

Layers of gooey goodness in delicious bread that you can't stop eating!

YUM!
Please try this recipe! Don't let the time fool you, they are totally worth it!

On that note, I had better get going and get some more home-making done!

2 comments:

  1. These Bierocks look so yummy! I have never even heard of Bierocks, but seeing what is in them...YUM! I love the curtains too, great fabric patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I grew up eating them and forgot how good they were until I dug out the recipe and tryed them again once I met my husband. They are definately a favorite at our house!

    ReplyDelete