Pages

Come Visit the new site!

The time has come for me to blend my photography with my love for blogging and create a place for families to come and hang out or get their very own family photo session.

www.rubyellenphotography.com

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cozy cooking

Pin It
It was that type of day yesterday where I really never left the kitchen. These are my favorite type of days on a rainy Autumn day. I have been trying to save our family money by cooking and baking from scratch versus spending crazy amounts on processed or frozen foods that have half the flavor. The recipes are simple but that's what I love. Simple, cheap and hearty; it hardly seems like the three of these words can go together but it is entirely possible.

I started out with a mission to make the "soup of the week" for myself. I am home most days and even when I do have work I am lucky to be able to come home for that hour. I have been making a large batch of healthy soup to freeze into individual portions for easy heating and eating when your life is so hectic. I had been making a Chipotle Chicken Soup that is delicious, but after three batches I was ready for a change. I remember in my early dieting day's with Weight Watcher's my mom used to make a vegetable soup that you can eat your heart out on and not gain a pound. It's simple and delicious, but I don't care for the cabbage so I made my own version:

Eat-as-Much-as-You-Care-to-Veggie-Soup
adapted from W.W. 0 Point Cabbage Soup from Food.com

Ingredients:
1 bag of Shredded carrots (approx. 10 oz)
1 cup Diced Yellow onion
2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
6 cups fat-free Beef Broth
1 (14-15 oz) can French Sliced Green Beans
1 small can of Mushrooms
2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium Zucchini diced

Directions:
Spray the bottom of a large pot with cooking spray and then saute the carrots, garlic and onion on low heat just until heated through, about 5 minutes. Then add the Broth, Green beans, Mushrooms,Tomato Paste, basil, oregano, and salt bringing to a boil.
Turn the heat to a lower setting, simmering for about 10-15 minutes, or until the Carrots are tender.
Then stir in the Zucchini and heat for another 5 minutes. Ready to serve.

This was so good and so easy, a must try for those of you who love soup and hate extra calories!

For dinner I indulged. I suppose it's ok when I had such a healthy lunch, but I might have gone a little overboard. I tried a new recipe from Taste of home for Sweet Potato Crescents! They were waaayyyy too delicious! I think I might have eaten 5 of them total. Oh, no.
I just couldn't resist taking these pictures of the little pieces of heaven!

And to finish the meal off I made my favorite Meatloaf using Stove top stuffing and the ALL time favorite mashed potatoes.

ALL time Favorite Mashed Potatoes
recipe from my mommy

Ingredients:

6 medium Potatoes
4 ounces Cream Cheese
4 ounces Sour Cream (or I used plain Greek yogurt)
1 teaspoon Onion Salt
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Celery Salt
2 cups Shredded Cheese for topping

Directions:

Peel and cut potatoes into chunks. Put in a pot on the stove top with just enough water to cover the potatoes, and bring to a boil.
Once the potatoes are soft (about 20 minutes) completely drain and mash.
Add the Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, and seasonings and mix until blended completely.
Grease oven safe dish. Spread potato mixture in the dish and top with cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the potatoes are heated through.
Enjoy a hearty and delicious meal!

 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Robyn! :) You have an adorable blog and gorgeous family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT LOOKS AWESOME! I think I just gained 5 pounds looking at it though. I might have to skim your site and steal some of these recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Soup of the week looks yummy, we love your blog and recipes, love to follow you on gfc#62!
    Angela & Angelica
    http://Groovybabyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I'd love to curl up with a bowl of it! Thanks for sharing :)

    I'm a new follower from the I <3 Wednesday Hop! Congrats on being featured :) I would love for you to follow me at www.mommydigger.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmmmmm! That looks soooo good!
    New follower from the blog hop. Hope you can stop by soon! :) Have a great day!

    ~ Tonya
    Random Deals

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog through the blog hop! Soup looks yummy!! (I have loads of zuc's and I am adding this to the menu this week.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm a new follower. I found you on Wandering Wednesday Blog Hop. Hop over and
    say hi if you get a chance Jennifer from Just Wedeminute--

    Ummmm this looks great!

    ReplyDelete