Pages

Come Visit the new site!

The time has come for me to blend my photography with my love for blogging and create a place for families to come and hang out or get their very own family photo session.

www.rubyellenphotography.com

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sticks & Vines: How to Create your own wreath

Pin It
I have been finding all sorts of great wreathes on Pinterest lately leaving me ready to make my own beautiful seasonal creation. As always I'm on a tight budget when it comes to crafting so I'm forced to get creative. I feel like this pushes my creative bone to the extreme leaving me feeling like I've tackled and conquered. A sort of self accomplished pride. This is what keeps a crafter creating.

To start I was going to hunt my yard for a few branches but quickly realized that my one lone little tree maybe had one or two stray branches. Then it came to me- that my parents live on an acreage in the countryside of beautiful South Eastern Iowa just loaded with trees and branches galore.

Mission #1: Send the boys to Grandma's house with a camera and orders for picking up tiny-viney-wreath-making sticks and vines. It worked:
Seriously! Look at their little faces! They love their Grandma (my mommy) as much as I do! She always knows exactly what I want, aren't mom's funny that way? I asked for pictures and sticks and she went above and beyond. Thanks Mommy!
The loot:
Plenty of small twiggy sticks and vine perfect for making wreathes all for FREE!
Next I did a little Googling online and found that there were no tutorials for making a wreath out of sticks and vines, at least that I found. The best I found was on TLC. The only thing I really took from that site was the idea of soaking the branches in a tub.
Thank God I have a gigantic tub in my master bath!
 Fill the tub just enough to cover the branches.
 I put a bucket filled half-way full of water on top to help hold the branches under the water because they tend to float. I moved the bucket several times throughout the day to keep all of the branches under water.

I then let it set for 24 hours before assembling the wreath.
Then I took the only craft supplies that I had at home to put the wreath together. Beading wire and cutters. I used 20 gauge for the wire to hold better.
Twist the wet branches into a circle:
Wrap the wire around and tighten then cut off. Repeating at least 3 to 4 times around the wreath to keep the circle even and secure. I did allow some twigs to flare out for a more rustic look.

This was so simple that I created three in the matter of 30 minutes and I loved the outcome!
 These are just what I was hoping for but now I just need to embelish them for fall! And, as you can see the early morning sky was just begging to be my backdrop!
Have fun making wreathes!

7 comments:

  1. Your boys are so cute. What a great, creative way to get the entire family to do outdoors activities...and at the same time create something so beautiful! Very inspiring!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! We have a blast creating together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I'm anxious to see what you do with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your boys are precious...makes me miss my babies being small so much;). What a wonderful mommy you are making sweet memories with them. Love the wreaths, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Stacey! Makes me sad to think of my sweet little boys growing up so fast. :( I cherish the moments I have now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed one thing in your blog, that your kids are so cute. What a great and creative way to get the entire family to do outdoors activities and at the same time create something so beautiful, which are very inspiring.
    promotional products

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jilly for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! :)

    ReplyDelete