Pages

Come Visit the new site!

The time has come for me to blend my photography with my love for blogging and create a place for families to come and hang out or get their very own family photo session.

www.rubyellenphotography.com

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tuscan Potato Soup+Tomato Bread Grilled Cream Cheese w/ Mozzarella

Pin It

It's official, the fall cooking bug has hit me. When the air is so crisp and cool it just begs me to get cooking and baking and I rarely turn those invites down. This week the soup of the week is a delicious hearty Tuscan Potato soup. I love to exchange recipes with my co-workers and this week both recipes were inspired from talking with the ladies I work with.

At the farmers market this weekend I was excited to find a very reasonably priced vendor selling gorgeous vegetables I bought a LARGE bunch of Kale for only $2 and just had to come up with the best way to eat it. I have never bought Kale before and now it will be on my regular shopping list. This stuff is gorgeous and was the perfect addition to the Tuscan Potato soup I made.

One of my favorite co-workers to exchange recipes with is a middle aged woman who has raised 4 children and loves to cook and bake. If you ever have a question about a recipe she is the one to ask. I started asking her how to make Tuscan potato soup and she gave me the ingredient list, then I ran home and googled "Tuscan Potato Soup" and came up with a recipe for a lighter version.

Here is my recipe adapted from Food.com:
Zuppa Toscana Soup
Ingredients:
1 pound Turkey breakfast sausage
1 quart Water
26 oz Unsalted Chicken Stock
2 pounds White Baby Potatoes cut into quarters
1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 cup Onion
2 cups Kale, de-veined and chopped
1/2 cup Low Fat Milk

Directions:
Brown Turkey sausage until cooked all the way through.
Drain any access fat and place back in cooking pot.
Add onions and cook for a couple of minutes until they become slightly transparent.
Add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
Add Water, Chicken stock, and Potatoes.
Bringing to a boil and cooking until potatoes are tender. About 20 minutes.
Add the Kale and Milk cooking for another 5 minutes.
Soup is ready, now time to enjoy!
I just had to make this delicious bread to go with the soup and OH MY GOODNESS! It was a good idea. To find the recipe go here. It's from The Amish Cook's Baking Book.
Fresh from the oven bread:
Next I sliced it thinly and spread a thin layer of cream cheese on one side then laying a piece of Mozzarella cheese on top of that. Buttered up the outsides and grilled until cheese was melted. It was just like a bowl of tomato soup in a sandwich.

Enjoy cooking the soup of the week and you MUST try the bread. . . you will not be disappointed!





No comments:

Post a Comment